Homeschooling is not a new concept. Some parents have always chosen to school their children at home.
However, in the last few decades, there has been an increase in the number of students who are being homeschooled. The reasons for this are varied but include dissatisfaction with the quality of education provided in the public school system, a fundamental or religious opposition to some of the public school curriculum such as the teaching of evolution or sex education and, the relative ease with which a parent can now find homeschooling resources or home education curriculum.
With the growing trend of homeschooling, it is imperative for parents to find the best online homeschool programs for their child(ren).
Ultimately, the best online homeschool programs will be the best “fit” for your individual child’s learning needs. These online homeschool programs should include a mix of excellent curricula choices as well as tutoring, and extracurricular activities.
What to Know Before You Start Homeschooling
Different states have different requirements about how to legally home school your child. Some states do not require that parents do anything. They can simply keep their child at home and begin the home education process. Other states require that parents notify their local school district of their intent to home school and then they may go ahead and begin homeschooling. These states do not require that the school district approve their homeschooling plan.
However, approximately one-half of the states do require that the local school district approve the parent’s request to home school their children. These states have different standards when it comes to homeschooling. Some states require parental notification and that parents send the school district the child’s test or assessment scores at least annually. Other states require parents to file a curriculum plan and detailed information about why the parent is qualified to teach the child at home.
It is important that each parent accurately understands the state requirements before beginning to home school a child so that no problems arise and the child’s home education continues uninterrupted.
Once you have a full understanding of the requirements, it will be possible for you to find the best online homeschool programs for your student.
Related: Study Skills by Grade Level
Reusable Water Bottles:
Staying hydrated throughout the day is crucial, so it’s important to invest in a sturdy water bottle that can take a few school knocks and drops. Since, let’s face it, somehow they always end up falling on the floor. Our advice is to buy a good, reasonably priced water bottle that can hold at least one liter of water.
Our selection of water bottles take 4 key factors into consideration:
1) 100% BPA free, which is a harmful chemical
2) They’re reusable. No throwaway bottles wanted
3) They are multipurpose. For ex. can keep drinks cool/hot or can infuse fruit
4) Hygienic. Can keep mold and bacteria away
GET FREE SCHOOL STUDY SKILLS GUIDE TODAY
This FREE Study Skills Guide will be an invaluable resource for every student this academic year.
We’ve just made studying so much easier for you!
CLICK HERE to receive it directly in your inbox
Time to Get Started
Once you have satisfied your state legal requirements and you are ready to begin homeschooling, it is important that you do the following things:
• Choose a Curriculum: some home school parents choose to follow a formal home school curriculum. Other home school parents decide to design their own curriculum. Either way, it is useful to have a copy of the curriculum and to make sure that you cover everything that you want to cover during a set period of time.
• Assess Your child (informally or formally): it is also important to periodically assess your child to see how he or she is doing in the curriculum. For some families, that means standardized tests. For other families, it means more informal projects or papers whereby the child can demonstrate his or her understanding of the material presented.
• Join a Home School Group or Enroll Your Child in Group Activities: critics of homeschooling are quick to argue that homeschooling is detrimental to children because they do not learn how to interact with other children. However, many home school children participate in little league or other community extracurricular activities. Further, many home school families form home school groups so that parents and children can do fun learning activities together and socialize.
• Keep Records: whether or not your state requires it, it is important that you keep records of your curriculum and your child’s progress in that curriculum. That way if anyone ever accuses you of educational neglect you will have the documentation necessary to show child protection services and the local school district that your child is receiving appropriate home education.
The Best Online Homeschool Programs for a Student with Disabilities
Parents have the right to homeschool their child(ren) with disabilities just as they would a child without disabilities. However, it is very important that the parent ensures that the child’s special education evaluations are up to date and that the parent also ensures that the child is not losing any skills or suffering as a result of homeschooling. The parent should seek the assistance of a special educator or related service provider if it is necessary to provide the child with an appropriate education. The best online homeschool programs will be able to assist you with all of the necessary paperwork.
Many people believe homeschooling to be a fundamental parental right. There are undoubtedly benefits to this kind of education and if you are interested in homeschooling your child(ren), it is worth taking the time to comply with the legal requirements and to keep the documentation necessary to show your child’s success. Moreover, finding the best online homeschool programs that suit both your child’s needs and family expectations is crucial.
For Information About The Chelsea International Education Homeschool Programs, Call Us TODAY at (855) 847 8881.
We Have Worked With Hundreds Of Homeschool Students and Families.
We Create “Best Fit” Solutions For All Of Our Homeschool Students! Call Us TODAY!